Administrative Law And Professional Licensing
Professional License Defense • Internal Affairs Representation
When a licensed professional is accused of breaking the law or accused of a serious breach of ethics, there can be criminal charges, administrative sanctions or both. The accused often must walk a fine line in these parallel proceedings – a misstep or bad outcome in either venue could be career-ending or lead to jail.
At Dutko & Kroll, P.A., we understand that your livelihood, your reputation and everything you have worked so hard to achieve is at stake. We are one of the few criminal defense firms in Broward County that also represents professionals in review board license defense proceedings. Contact us today to learn how we can help.
Representing Professionals Accused of Crimes
We have represented licensed professionals in both state and federal criminal prosecutions. Most often the allegations involve financial crimes such as embezzlement from an employer, misappropriation of client funds or health care billing fraud. However, we can defend clients against any misdemeanor or felony charges that may have a bearing on their professional status, such as drunk driving, drug possession, domestic violence or sexual assault.
We explore all avenues to get charges dismissed or reduced, or to negotiate alternatives that keep the conviction off one's record and avoid jail, if possible.
Professional License Defense
Sometimes mere allegations of criminal offenses can touch off an administrative inquiry. We have represented a broad cross section of licensed professionals before their respective licensing and disciplinary bodies, including the following:
- Doctors, nurses and pharmacists — Medical Licensing Board
- Teachers and the Department of Education — Teacher Certification
- Lawyers and the Florida Bar
- Police officers and Internal Affairs or BCA investigations
- Real estate agents, appraisers, accountants, stock brokers and other licensed professionals before their state licensing boards
Our Core Practice Areas
Practice Areas In Brief:
- White collar crimes — We provide a sophisticated defense for fraud and financial crimes, including mortgage fraud, tax fraud, wire fraud, securities fraud and embezzlement.
- RICO Act — We defend people charged with criminal conspiracy and racketeering crimes connected to organized crime such as money laundering, bribery, extortion or obstruction of justice.
- Violent crimes and major felonies — Our lawyers have tried cases of capital offenses, murder and manslaughter, aggravated assault, sex offenses and other felony crimes punishable by long prison sentences.
- Other misdemeanor and felony crimes — We provide a vigorous defense no matter what the charges, including DUI, drug possession, theft, domestic violence or other offenses.
- Administrative law and professional license defense — We are among the few firms that represent professionals on criminal charges and in disciplinary or licensing board proceedings.
- Election law violations and ethics complaints — We represent political candidates and elected officials accused of campaign law violations, bribery, misuse of funds and other misconduct.
- Appeals and post-conviction relief — Our lawyers can appeal your conviction or overly harsh sentence. We have handled precedent-setting cases.
Visit the media and archives to see historic, high-profile cases covered by news organizations.