White-collar Criminal Defense
Sophisticated Representation for Fraud and Financial Crimes
The term "white collar crime" refers to frauds and paper thefts, often committed electronically, as opposed to taking money by stealth or by force. However, state and federal authorities treat white collar financial crimes every bit as seriously as street crimes. Those accused may face prison time and a felony record, along with parallel civil prosecutions and the collateral consequences for their professional licenses, careers and families.
Fraud charges may be the culmination of lengthy investigations by state or federal law enforcement agencies. The Fort Lauderdale law firm of Dutko & Kroll, P.A. provides sophisticated representation from pre-indictment intervention through negotiations, trials and appeals.
Our experienced criminal defense lawyers have represented business owners and executives, doctors, lawyers, stock brokers, accountants, bank officers, real estate agents, public officials and other professionals. We handle state and federal fraud charges in Broward County, surrounding jurisdictions of South Florida, and throughout the United States.
Proven Criminal Defense From Former Prosecutors and Investigators
Our criminal defense attorneys are sought for our demonstrated results in tough cases. We welcome complex cases involving serious felony charges, including:
- Health care fraud and insurance fraud
- Mortgage fraud and bank fraud
- Securities fraud
- Tax Fraud
- Racketeering and organized fraud
- Identity theft and credit card fraud
- Wire fraud and mail fraud
- Ponzi schemes and Internet scams
Our clients commonly face related criminal allegations under state and federal statutes, such as charges of money laundering, obstruction of justice or criminal conspiracy under the RICO Act. We can also represent clients in related civil actions, such as asset forfeiture and civil fraud lawsuits, and we routinely defend professionals before state licensing boards and at administrative hearings.
Whether Embezzlement, RICO or Other Fraud, We Prepare Your Case
We prepare every case as if we will have to go to trial. However, we are often able to resolve white collar cases short of trial through our proactive efforts. Our background and resources enable us to conduct our own thorough investigation that rivals or exceeds that of law enforcement. By engaging investigators and prosecutors in the early stages of a case, we aim to avoid an indictment or downgrade the charges.
If you are formally indicted for fraud, we will analyze the prosecution's case and strategize your defense to position you for the most favorable outcome. We understand that your personal and professional reputation are on the line, and that a conviction would be devastating for you and your family. We explore every avenue to avoid prison and to resolve your case as efficiently and discreetly as possible.
Our Core Practice Areas
Practice Areas In Brief:
- White collar crimes — We provide a sophisticated defense for fraud and financial crimes, including mortgage fraud, tax fraud, wire fraud, securities fraud and embezzlement.
- RICO Act — We defend people charged with criminal conspiracy and racketeering crimes connected to organized crime such as money laundering, bribery, extortion or obstruction of justice.
- Violent crimes and major felonies — Our lawyers have tried cases of capital offenses, murder and manslaughter, aggravated assault, sex offenses and other felony crimes punishable by long prison sentences.
- Other misdemeanor and felony crimes — We provide a vigorous defense no matter what the charges, including DUI, drug possession, theft, domestic violence or other offenses.
- Administrative law and professional license defense — We are among the few firms that represent professionals on criminal charges and in disciplinary or licensing board proceedings.
- Election law violations and ethics complaints — We represent political candidates and elected officials accused of campaign law violations, bribery, misuse of funds and other misconduct.
- Appeals and post-conviction relief — Our lawyers can appeal your conviction or overly harsh sentence. We have handled precedent-setting cases.
Visit the media and archives to see historic, high-profile cases covered by news organizations.