Appellate Law And Appeals
State and Federal Appellate Representation
The attorneys of Dutko & Kroll, P.A. have a reputation for effective criminal defense in a broad range of cases. However, even the best trial lawyers sometimes cannot overcome prejudicial evidence, prosecutor misconduct, improper jury instructions and other errors at trial.
Our criminal trial practice includes appeals of convictions and sentences. We commonly handle appeals of cases that we tried, as well as independent appeals upon request by defendants or other attorneys. Our Fort Lauderdale firm handles state and federal appellate cases in Broward County as well as Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties.
Did You Get a Fair Shake at Trial?
While you cannot appeal simply because you think the jury came to the wrong conclusion, you can pursue an appeal in cases of judicial error. In such cases, it is necessary to demonstrate to the appeals court that such a judicial error that was so prejudicial that the verdict likely would have been different.
Our experienced appellate lawyers are skilled at identifying and fleshing out the grounds for appeals!
Skilled In Post-Conviction Relief And Shaping Florida Law
In both state appeals and federal appeals over the years, attorneys of Dutko & Kroll, P.A. have advanced arguments at trial court that were initially rejected, but later upheld by the District Court of Appeals and the Florida Supreme Court.
We take pride in our involvement in creating precedent-changing and precedent-setting "new law" that resulted in development, evolution, refinement and enhancement of the status quo. We have helped clients overturn convictions, win new trials or modify their overly punitive sentences. We have also succeeded in reining in law enforcement and having statutes declared unconstitutional.
Our published appellate opinions cover a range of issues, including the following:
- The constitutionality of restrictions on chiropractor solicitations.
- The first written opinion in Florida providing for defense witness immunity.
- The constitutionality of wiretaps on cordless phones.
Practice Areas In Brief:
- White collar crimes — We provide a sophisticated defense for fraud and financial crimes, including mortgage fraud, tax fraud, wire fraud, securities fraud and embezzlement.
- RICO Act — We defend people charged with criminal conspiracy and racketeering crimes connected to organized crime such as money laundering, bribery, extortion or obstruction of justice.
- Violent crimes and major felonies — Our lawyers have tried cases of capital offenses, murder and manslaughter, aggravated assault, sex offenses and other felony crimes punishable by long prison sentences.
- Other misdemeanor and felony crimes — We provide a vigorous defense no matter what the charges, including DUI, drug possession, theft, domestic violence or other offenses.
- Administrative law and professional license defense — We are among the few firms that represent professionals on criminal charges and in disciplinary or licensing board proceedings.
- Election law violations and ethics complaints — We represent political candidates and elected officials accused of campaign law violations, bribery, misuse of funds and other misconduct.
- Appeals and post-conviction relief — Our lawyers can appeal your conviction or overly harsh sentence. We have handled precedent-setting cases.